Friday, October 8, 2010

Vanity of Vanities

I think it has been over a month since I have posted anything on this blog.  So what happened to a book a week? 

Do you ever put yourself on an unintended sabbatical from those things which you really enjoy?  You just slowly move away from that which brings you joy and then a little while later sense the distance by the small amount of empty space in your life.  Okay, maybe it's just me, but my unintended sabbatical (in the midst of a challenge to read a book a week for a year) has been from reading and then writing about it here.  Not that I haven't been reading at all, I just have not been reading everyday.   The thrill is gone. 

The culprit?  Vanity Fair! 

I just can't seem to propel myself through this one.  I know there must be some of you out there who will cry out (in horror), "It's such a good book."  Really?   I can't say I follow.  I have been reading this book for a month (A MONTH) and I am not even half way through it.  But, I insist on plodding through until the end, because I doubt I would pick it up again (and if I did, that I would remember ANY of the characters, because I only vaguely can point them out now).    At the moment it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I am pressing on. 

Have you read a book you thought would never end, but perservered?  Was it worth it?

Any encouragement would be appreciated.  There just may be a scathing review in it for you.

-L

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! Sounds like you should put that book away and read something else. :0) But ya I've read books that I didn't like and kept going. It's soooooo hard !!
    Good luck with it.
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping by! I'm not sure if I should advise you to keep reading or not. I read Vanity Fair too many years ago, in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy a col;d Dr. Pepper or hot chocolate while reading or blogging!! I am a follower come check out my blog and follow me http://inthe-outhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds about like my Anna Karenina experience. I say keep going--you'll feel such a sense of accomplishment when you finish! AND you'll get to mark it off your list!!

    But in the meantime, maybe take a little break and read something short and fluffy. Or set yourself a goal and decide that you will read a certain number of pages each day (or spend a certain amount of time reading it daily).

    You can always see if librivox.org has the audio available. I won't say there's no shame in helping yourself along that way, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot.. and I just finished two books that I'm about to put reviews up with. I guess I'm finally catching my second wind... or L is just giving me time to catch up. =\

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy is right on all the suggestions she made. Taking a break to read something lighter will kind give you a second wind when you get back to Vanity Fair. I'm reading a book right now that's divided into sections; so I'm planning to read an entire section during the read-a-thon tomorrow. Then, I'll move on to some of my other selections for the event. And finally, LibriVox has helped me through a title or two. Any of these should breathe new life into your read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was like that for Jane Eyre, but the sense of relief I felt at finishing the blasted thing was definitely worth it. Also, I've read maybe a quarter of Vanity Fair a couple of years ago - it was so slow! I have to read it for my 100 Books list, but keep putting it off. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started Vanity Fair this week. I have a feeling it's going to take me a while too. I've been reading it since Tuesday but still I'm only about 50 pages in.

    Visiting from the hop by the way

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know you can shorten your urls with AdFly and get cash for every click on your short urls.

    ReplyDelete