Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ingathering

It seems our long hiatus of book purchasing is behind us and we are hitting the book shelves like a crack addict on a day-pass.  -D posted about his latest book purchases last week and I had a great book shop day, so I thought I would share with the class.  Show and tell!

Members of a former-book club-hopefully-reunited and I went to the Rancho Mirage Library to check out books after a lengthy discussion of what we should read next.  I was the virgin of the group...I had been meaning to get around to it, but just hadn't made it, yet.

Here's the finds:

The Blind Assassin: A NovelThe Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood (hardback).  This is on the list of 1001 Books to Read before you Die, but one of the members of the aforementioned book club read The Handmaid's Tale a couple years ago and I thought it was about time I got some more Atwood in me.






Gilead: A NovelGilead by Marilynne Robinson (hardback).  Winner of the Pulitzer Prize at some point.  I saw this mentioned somewhere and thought it sounded good. 








Giant (Perennial Classics)Giant by Edna Ferber.  Another winner of the Pulitzer.  Purchased for 2 reasons.  1.  It is set in Texas (enough said)  2.  One of my favorite songs mentions the movie adaptation of this book (...and a screen without a picture since Giant came to town...)







A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering GeniusA Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.  Pointed out to me by a member of aforementioned book club.  Upon picking it up, I discovered it is not only signed by the author, but illustrated as well.   Not bad for a buck.






All told, these cost $3.50.  I shall return Rancho Mirage Library.  Consider yourself warned, home book shelves. 

On a related note,  I have some books up for swap on GoodReads if you are interested in helping me get rid of some of my books to make more room for recent purchases.  I don't recommend any of the books on the swap listing, but hey, you would be doing me a favor by getting them off my hands. 

Any great finds lately?

-L

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, Blind Assassin is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITES - you will love it! Gilead great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Blind Assassin with a passion! In fact you may have inspired me to read it again. It has been a long time. I was at Big Lots the other day and they had this HUGE book bin with books for $3. They were current and past best sellers and not so best sellers but I stocked up for sure! I grabbed some Chicklit b/c I hate paying a lot for Chicklit so $3 was right up my ally, and I bought some historical fiction, and a memoir. I can't remember the names to any of them right now but I can't wait to start reading!

    www.geebsbookclub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All amazing finfd! I am so incredibly jealous right now... I want to find books like those.. and so cheap! Books are not that cheap in Australia I can tell you that. I loved the Blind Assassin but haven't read the others. Can't wait for your reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love Blind Assassin. Edible Woman is maybe my favorite Atwood novel, it was her first novel and it is SOOOOOO good.

    I've been meaning to read Heart Breaking Work, I started it, but haven't finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. blind assassin also on my tbr... but as I've just put that in a box in a storage unit while I emigrate for a couple of years, I don't think I'll get to it very soon!

    Anyway, I guess as you know about the list, you're aware of the 1001 Books spreadsheet and have a copy of the new v4 edition, right? If not, head over to the spreadsheet page on Arukiyomi.

    ReplyDelete