Thursday, July 22, 2010

This Week in our Year

We are seriously considering changing the name of this semi-weekly post to: This Fortnight in Our Year - we shall see.  Again, we didn't get around to doing this post last week so we have a little bit more to catch up on. If you are stopping by through the Book Blog Hop: WELCOME!  We are always glad to meet more people who enjoy reading!  This week's question is: What book are you reading right now?  Our answers:

-L: The Awakening by Kate Chopin
-D: The Magic of Recluse by L.E. Modesitt Jr.; The Stand by Stephen King

In the last couple of weeks, we have slowed down a little bit on the reading, so we don't have a ton to recap.  Here's the rundown of our activities:

Review: Unashamed (quite the discussion of Christian fiction, where do you stand?)
Review: Saki (this is not so much a review, as a strange haiku, but not really that either)
Review: The Grapes of Wrath

Book Talk: the Tim Burton collection (add it to the wishlist)
Book Talk: a Soundtrack for The Grapes of Wrath

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE The Magic of Recluce. A great book. Ironically, I avoided it for years because I thought it was something entirely different (yes, yes, I judged a book by its cover).

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hopping by! I already subscribe to your blog via RSS, but it's nice to drop by and comment. I thoroughly enjoyed your review of The Grapes of Wrath, which is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors. You're spot on in saying that his writing isn't geared toward teenagers. (Though I hated Of Mice and Men (read for ninth grade honors English), I did enjoy both The Grapes of Wrath in eleventh grade and East of Eden in twelfth grade.) I also agree that a firm grounding in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament is useful when reading these books, as well as some life experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that The Stand should be considered a classic, and can stand (pun intended) with any of the literary novels that were so much lauded in all of those end-of-the-20th-century lists. I believe it is a horror/superpopular author bias that keeps it from getting the recognition it deserves. I hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess - thanks for the compliment. I am going to read The Red Pony next. Looking forward to reading all of Steinbeck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, Modesitt is a fun author. I didn't quite enjoy any of his other series, and never did finish the Order series. Fortunately, a friend of mine had the whole collection and I'm going to run through 'em.

    Heather, I'm about 100 pages in and it's been an enjoyable book so far. I never really wanted to read anything by Stephen King. Only after being told that he did a fantasy series did he come onto the radar. The Dark Tower series has definitely made me a fan.

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just 'hopped' over here and am really enjoying backreading your posts! Great blog :D

    ReplyDelete